Tamrielic Lore

A home for the fans who love the lore of The Elder Scrolls series.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inFind us on Facebook
We now have a Chatroom!
Make sure you're aware of the forum rules!
There have been sightings of Dark Brotherhood members
lurking around this area, be careful as they're unforgiving assassins without mercy.
Earn Exp points by starting topics and replying in them.
Exp points grant you admission to factions, new ranks and rank badges, new privileges and more!
Keep an eye on the Skyrim info section,
where we'll be keeping as much up to date information as possible.
11:11:11 .... it's near
You can find an updated list of the Admins and Mods
in the Rules and Announcements section with links to contact each one!
I've heard the Imperial Legion is recruiting in this region...
All factions are now joinable, keep your eyes
peeled for the faction leaders
Recent Topics
Latest Topics
Topic
History
Written by
Ban the person above you
Akatosh, Dragon God of Time
Hi I have returned
Suggestions.
Tips and ruiners
what do you think you have to do to join the darkbrother hood
So, the Creation Kit is out
G'Day Mate (TigerJames)
The battle for the Empire
First let me start at the best place possible... the beginning
Mon May 25, 2020 11:13 pm
Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 am
Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:15 pm
Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:26 pm
Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 pm
Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:30 am
Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 pm
Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Share | 

Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Starstrider
Starstrider
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

Exp. : 4659

Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  Empty
PostSubject: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:56 am

Nirn is the planet where all of the Elder Scrolls games take place. Nirn was formed during the Dawn Era . The main continent on Nirn is Tamriel, This of course consists of our 9 provinces that we hear about and experience throughout the games: the Black Marsh, Cyrodill, Hammerfell, High Rock, Skyrim, Elsweyr, Morrowind, Valenwood, and Summerset Isle. Three sub continents make up the rest of Nirn which are Yokuda, Atmora, and Akavir. Yokuda is west of Tamriel ; Land of the redguards, however sank into the sea. Atmora is North of Tamriel and is the homeland of the Nords who traveled over the sea of ghosts to inhabit Skyrim and throughout the rest of Tamriel. And lastly, we have Akavir. Akavir is east of Tamriel and is made of 4 races and regions Kamal, Tsaesci Tang Mo and Ka Po’ Tun.
Nirn has a total of 2 moons : Masser and Secunda. Oblivion plays an essential role in the universal construct of Nirn and the universe itself. The sun and stars (with the exception of The Serpent constellation) shine passing through the veil of Oblivion and transmits light of Aetherius shrines into Mundas.

Mundas is the universe or “outer-space” that provides existence to Nirn , other Aedric planets , and the moons that orbit them. Tracing back to Oblivion, these heavenly bodies float within the realm of Oblivion. Mundus is the result due to the creation of many divine entities. Aldmeri Lorkhan a mythic tradition deity, conceptualized and provoked the Original Spirits known as the Et’Ada to conjure up the creation of Mundus. After the creation of the world , Lorkhan was obliterated into pieces and died. The two moons that orbit Nirn,Masser and Secunda are actually the remains of Lorkhan’s body. However, his existence remains in the minds of mortals through memories; there are many interpretations and speculations on how his remains embodied into a multitude of avatars and historical patterns. Magnus is the other deity whom is considered the “Architect” that drew and established the planes for Mundus. Some Et’Ada sacrificed themselves to form the creation of Mundus. There are eight planets not including the most familiar planet Nirn. This gives us our Eight Divines AKA Aedra. The Aedra that sacrificed themselves to establish creation, did so to form the substances to make up life on the planet Nirn. Magnus became rather disgusted and unsatisfied at what Mundus had become after the planets formed; therefore ripping a hole in oblivion, leaving for Aetherius. This tear in the fabric of Oblivion is considered to be the Sun, and is responsible for the greater half of Mundus’ magical energy. The other Et’Ada soon consecutively followed Magnus leaving smaller tears in the fabric of Oblivion resulting in the formation of the stars. The remainder of the Et’Ada we unable to escape or by will chose to embody themselves as spirits on Nirn; these spirits then changed into Earthbones or Ehlnofey and diminished into nothingness. Lorkhan’s destruction was the result of the Aedra congregating at Direnni Tower or the Ur-Tower killing due his trickery. Trinimac ruthlessly pulled the heart from Lorkhan’s chest shooting it into the sea with his bow. This impacted into Nirn forming the massive volcano know as Red Mountain, and this is how VVardenfell can be traced back to its origin of formation.

All information has been paraphrased from sources/links located at http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Mundus Feel free to elaborate, correct, add, comment on any of the information that I have compiled in regard to the realm of Mundus and Nirn. Thank you all for your time!

- Starstrider

Last edited by Starstrider on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  Schola10
Exp. : 4868

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:47 am

An excellent summary of Mundus and it's creation along with the explanation of the structure of all that is. You did a good job at it too. It's normally a heavy subject and difficult to fully comprehend.
As far as my knowledge went before, Nirn was never mentioned to be an actual planet, though reasonable deduction would say it is.

Aetherius lies beyond Oblivion, and it's the place where everyone's soul goes when they die. I dont know if I would classify these souls as "mortals", as they are also recycled and sent back to Nirn. While Oblivion is the home of the Daedra, which are immortal.

Then there's the Void. At this point everything becomes pure speculation, as we know very little about it. Basically, the Void is the name used to describe everything outside the realms we know. Anu and Padomay, or Anu and Sithis, if you will, came from the Void. The Dark Brotherhood says that when they kill someone in the name of Sithis, the soul goes to the Void, although this may not be true, since the DB could be wrong.

The Void contains the Outer Realms, Yagrum Bagarn was in an Outer Realm when the Dwemer disappeared, so we know that at least some of these realms are stable enough for mortals to exist in them. The fact that Anu and Padomay came from the Void suggests that there might be other deities out there, but considering how Anu is basically Light and Stasis, while Padomay is Change and Chaos (at least until they achieved awareness, this may be figurative. But if there are other deities out there, then maybe there are mortals too. And who knows where the Dwemer have gone to? If they didn't simply remove themselves from existence, they could very well be alive somewhere in the Outer Realms.

Also: Mundus, Oblivion, Aetherius, the Void and the Outer Realms, if you speak of all of them together, it's called "Aurbis".
Back to top Go down
Starstrider
Starstrider
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 am

Nice addition, Nightblade! I believe this is an essential topic that every TES fan should become familiar with to understand the "bigger picture" of the series; again very critical information Nightblade that I failed to mention, the concept of "Aurbis" is very important to know.

-Starstrider
Back to top Go down
ZeroAzer
ZeroAzer
Stormcloaks
Stormcloaks

Eat, Sleep, Play

Exp. : 4991

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 7:44 pm

Starstrider wrote:
Nice addition, Nightblade! I believe this is an essential topic that every TES fan should become familiar with to understand the "bigger picture" of the series; again very critical information Nightblade that I failed to mention, the concept of "Aurbis" is very important to know.

-Starstrider

study let's look in to more of this Skyrim Fans!. And I agree with what Star said. Sorry got no other info to put for this.
Back to top Go down
Booyahhayoob
Booyahhayoob
The Companions
The Companions

Talos, my sweet...

Exp. : 4941

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:24 pm

You should also include the Dawn and Mythic Era's timeline.

In simplicity:

Anu and Padomay, brothers, came into the Void. Time began. As they explored, light and darkness created Nir. Nir became the "female Archie." Padomay, also known as Sithis, became mad that Nir liked Anu more, and retreated as Nir became prego with Creation. Shortly before Creation was born, Sithis attacked Nir, nearly killing her. Anu comes and gets revenge as Nir gives birth and dies. Anu, beyond the point of rage, casts Sithis out of Time, and "hides in the sun" and sleeps.

Meanwhile, life springs from the "twelve worlds." After ages, Sithis returns and shatters the twelve worlds, awaking Anu. They start "WWII," with Anu winning. Believing his brother is dead, Anu casts Sithis's body aside and attempts to save Creation by merging the worlds into one - Nirn. While Nirn is formed, Sithis, with his final blow, strikes Anu, who grapples his brother and pulls them both out of Time forever.

Sithis's blood then becomes Daedra. Anu's blood then becomes the Stars. Together, they become Aedra. Nirn, however, was like Tamriel in the second Era - chaos. The only two survivors from the twelve worlds were the Hist and the Ehlnofey. A large section of the Ehlnofey's world lands on Nirn more or less intact. They then build borders and try to live on as before.

Other Ehlnofey land on Nirn and explore, trying to find each other. Eventually, the "Wanderers" find the Old Ehlnofey and rejoice. The Old Ehlnofey, however, calls the Wanderers degenerates. Civil war then breaks out for an unknown reason. Each side has their own strength. The "Oldies" are more sophisticated, but the Wanderers are more in number. The Hist just sit back and watch.

Eventually, the Oldies' land becomes Tamriel, and the Wanderers' land is split on Akavir, Atmora, and Yokuda. The Hist is pretty much screwed, getting only Black Marsh, which is mostly sunken. As time goes by, the Oldies become Mer (Elves), and the Wanderers become the Men. Eventually, Men return. Nords come first, colonizing Skyrim with Ysgramor. King Harald, his thirteenth descendant, becomes the first to appear in written history, thus ending the Mythic era and bringing in written history.

(WOW that was long! Simplicity, my butt! Also, that all came from "An Annotated Anuad.")

Last edited by Booyahhayoob on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/booyahhayoob
ashxombie
ashxombie
Morag Tong
Morag Tong

When life gives you lemons, blood for the Blood God!

Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  Modnew10
Exp. : 5255

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Lol. I love your version Booyahhayoob.

Good job everyone! ^_^ Though I do want to look into individual planes of Oblivion like Quagmire etc...
Back to top Go down
Booyahhayoob
Booyahhayoob
The Companions
The Companions

Talos, my sweet...

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
Starstrider
Starstrider
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 pm

Booyahhayoob - Excellent! I enjoyed your summation of "An Annotated Anuad". Lets keep this going! Slowly but surely we will connect all the puzzle pieces to provide a grounded understanding for new comers and lore hungry fans alike. All this effort will ultimately boost our appreciation for TES, therefore resulting in more satisfying gameplay and outlook. Bethesda has really put in alot of work into this game series... Its so dynamic, so in depth... I learn something new all the time about TES and I've been a fan for almost a decade!
Back to top Go down
Booyahhayoob
Booyahhayoob
The Companions
The Companions

Talos, my sweet...

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 pm

I'll summarize the first era, if you want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe    Understanding The Elder Scrolls Universe  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top