Tamrielic Lore

A home for the fans who love the lore of The Elder Scrolls series.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inFind us on Facebook
We now have a Chatroom!
Make sure you're aware of the forum rules!
There have been sightings of Dark Brotherhood members
lurking around this area, be careful as they're unforgiving assassins without mercy.
Earn Exp points by starting topics and replying in them.
Exp points grant you admission to factions, new ranks and rank badges, new privileges and more!
Keep an eye on the Skyrim info section,
where we'll be keeping as much up to date information as possible.
11:11:11 .... it's near
You can find an updated list of the Admins and Mods
in the Rules and Announcements section with links to contact each one!
I've heard the Imperial Legion is recruiting in this region...
All factions are now joinable, keep your eyes
peeled for the faction leaders
Recent Topics
Latest Topics
Topic
History
Written by
Ban the person above you
Akatosh, Dragon God of Time
Hi I have returned
Suggestions.
Tips and ruiners
what do you think you have to do to join the darkbrother hood
So, the Creation Kit is out
G'Day Mate (TigerJames)
The battle for the Empire
First let me start at the best place possible... the beginning
Mon May 25, 2020 11:13 pm
Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:01 pm
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:59 am
Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:15 pm
Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:26 pm
Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 pm
Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:30 am
Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:17 pm
Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Share | 

The Monsters of Skyrim

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Algerin
Algerin
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

Jeden ist wieder wertlos wie die Naechste.

Exp. : 4815

The Monsters of Skyrim Empty
PostSubject: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 2:51 am

Would anyone care to have a discussion about the various creatures native to Skyrim?

Mudcrabs... They've been around forever. Tiny little clawed monsters reknown for their lack of fighting ability. However, what else can we learn about mud-crabs?

Mudcrabs would appear to be carnivores due to their frequent and often times uprovoked attacks on anything nearby. A diet of slaughterfish and fishermen seems likely, and they seem to be the type to scavenge a corpse if given the chance.

At least three variations of Mudcrabs exist. The Vvardenfell Mudcrab, the Lake Rumare Mudcrab and the Skyrim Mudcrab(We'll call it the Northern Mudcrab).

Vvardenfell Mudcrab
The Monsters of Skyrim 180px-10
The Vvardenfell Mudcrab has a thicker and bulkier shell then the Rumare mudcrab, possibly to better blend in with Vvardenfells numerous swamps and rocks. Their jaws are also much larger, possibly to help crack open Scribs or dead Dreugh that wash up on shore. Finally, it can easily be noticed that the Vvardenfell Mudcrabs lack pincers.

Rumare Mudcrab
The Monsters of Skyrim 96630610
The Rumare Mudcrab would seem to be a lesser version of the Vvardenfell Mudcrab, with a thinner shell and smaller jaws. Indeed, this species of Mudcrab may rely almost entirely on scavenging. Notice that most mudcrabs in Oblivion are found near the Imperial City and among the sewers. Rumare Mudcrabs may be so abundant in this area due to the amount of trash and refuse that enters Lake Rumare daily.

Northern Mudcrab
The Monsters of Skyrim 292px-12
The northern mudcrab can be found in the province of Skyrim and it is easy to notice the differences between it and it's cousins. Like the Rumare Mudcrab, the Northern Mudcrab has pincers. In fact, they are much larger then the Rumare slaughterfish, and have a much more jagged shape, to better pierce thick hide or carapace. It also has a dull gray color, perfect for blending in with the cold landscape of Skyrim. It can be theorized that the Northern Mudcrab is a strict carnivore, laying in wait at the bottom of streams and lakes to ambush any passing salmon or slaughterfish

Last edited by Algerin on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fowe
Fowe
Stormcloaks
Stormcloaks

Hold the gates! Mudcrabs are coming!

Exp. : 4728

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:10 am

MUDCRABS! my favourites! i think we need dragon mudcrabs..
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

The Monsters of Skyrim Schola10
Exp. : 4900

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Algerin, your post is very insightful. I will be going to major in biology soon in university so things like this interest me. You said it yourself that the Rumare mudcrabs live near the Imperial City, I want to add that they might have a smaller physical appearance to the others because over the centuries and different civilizations and empires that existed around the white gold tower, the crabs may have lost the need to hunt and prefer to scavenge much of the trash and waste around the city. The Rumare mudcrabs, probably are aggressive because they would fight for scavenging territory. Whether it be in sewers or on beaches, they want to protect their turf. We can all agree, are not the most intelligent of creatures. It's possible that when they begin their attack on people, from a distance or in the dark, they are unable to tell the difference between a human and a wild animal. They try to defend their territory and once humans get close, perhaps try to defend themselves once their small minds figure out we're too much of a fight for them.

Vvardenfell mudcrabs are slower and larger than their Rumare cousins. The color and shape of the body is a great camouflage like you said. Reasons for camouflage are 1. Stay hidden from predators and 2. Ambush prey. I believe that over the hard years of blight, eruptions, toxic ash and other environmental factors that make Vvardenfell a tough place to live has made these mudcrabs evolve to keep as much of their body safe within their shell where they can protect themselves from the elements.
Vvardenfell mudcrabs are probably ambush predators, hiding in ponds, shallow waters on in fronds to snatch any small creatures walking by. Because of their large, thick shell they adapted to protect them, they are slow and cannot pursue their prey in a chase. For that reason their jaws probably evolved very large so that when they do grab a hold of something, they are less likely to lose it. Survival of the fittest, the ones who best hunt and can make the best of their situations are the ones that pass on their genes.

I have yet to see and hear more about the Northern mudcrabs, but from what I see, the claws are large for the same reason as why Vvardenfell mudcrabs have large jaws. The large stature of the northern crabs is in relation to the size difference of the rest of the fauna in Skryim. In northern environments, animals tend to grow larger and tougher, having to survive long winters with little food and larger animals have slower metabolisms. This is the same with the mudcrabs, but they must also grow larger if their prey grows larger as well. It'd be nice to actually document one of these creatures in the act of hunting in a stream.

This is all just theory, you're free to criticize and/or comment. Hope it helps!
Back to top Go down
Algerin
Algerin
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 pm

I like your theories Nightblade. I'm excited to see Mudcrabs in Skyrim=)

What Monsters should I focus on next?
Slaughterfish(Assuming they'll be in Skyrim)?
Dreugh?
Dragons?
Giant Spiders?

Anyone else is free to post whatever they want about creatures in this thread too of course.
Back to top Go down
Caelas
Caelas
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

Don't take life to seriously. You'll never escape it alive anyway

Exp. : 4952

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 4:08 pm

The Dragons are a rare (and often believed to be extinct) Akaviri race of large reptilian beasts capable of flight and the ability to create fire[1]. Little is known about them beyond their remarkable intelligence and ability to communicate[2][3] with Nedic visitors to Akavir years ago. There are at least two subspecies, or varieties of dragon; red and black[4]. Their population in Akavir was killed by the Tsaesci, whereas the dragons in Vvardenfell were overrun by the invading cliff racers. It was rumored that they moved closer to Cyrodiil,
and it may be for this reason that dragons are sacred to the Empire.
The legends tell of their aid during wars in exchange for shelter. The
avatar of Akatosh is a flaming dragon. Its relation, if any, to the Tamrielic
dragons is unknown - but many stories tell of Akatosh co-mingling with
and organizing groups of dragons, although this representation may be
metaphorical. Peryite also takes the form of a dragon, but this is only to spite Akatosh.[UESP]
If dragons still exist at all, they are never encountered by the mortal
races. It has been suggested that they may be able to shapeshift in
order to disguise themselves.[UESP] It is rumored that Tosh Raka, leader of the Tiger people of Ka Po' Tun, has succeeded in transforming himself into a dragon, a rumor which is substantiated by Mysterious Akavir.

Historically, dragons lived in and around isolated villages, located
high in mountain ranges. If any of these settlements still exist, they
remain undiscovered. The villages were aptly situated in areas that
allowed both free flying without obstructions and flats for raising
cattle. Dragons were known to keep deer and other animals for food, and
their meals would simply involve flying low over a ranch and swooping
down upon one of them. Dragons were also known to maintain lairs -
usually in derelict mining tunnels - safe from thieves and other
aggressors.[UESP]

Young dragons, called Dragonlings, can be found around the Iliac Bay area. These can be calmed by speakers of Dragonish. Many dragon dens can also be seen around the region, although no dragons can be found within. The Akatosh Chantry hold dragons as their holy symbol, and keep tamed dragons in their "sacred grove".[5] Dragon's scales are a rare and valuable ingredient used in alchemy.
Got all this directly from uesp none of it is my work.

Last edited by Caelas on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 4:15 pm

you should at least cite that you got it from UESP.

There are at least six variations of dragons in Skyrim, plus several that are named dragons and unique. Along with that there is a dragon that you can create an allegiance with and call upon him to aid you in battle via a shout whenever you are in an outdoor area, even towns.
Back to top Go down
Covest
Covest
College of Winterhold
College of Winterhold

Exp. : 4619

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 4:51 pm

We can't forget about our Triclopian friends, the Trolls. There are confirmed at least two types of Troll, Frost and what I'm assuming is the 'average' brown Troll, despite their Cyrodillic cousins being green in color and of limited variety.

The Monsters of Skyrim Oblivt10

This is of course the Cyrodillic Troll, green and mossy in color.

The Monsters of Skyrim Brownt15

This is the brown troll of which I spoke (screeny compliments of Nightblade) This is likely to be the more common of the two known trolls in Skyrim.

The Monsters of Skyrim Skyrim12

And the fabled Frost Troll. Blueish grey in color. If you look closely you'll see that it too has three eyes.

As we all know, trolls are prone to severe bouts of depression. The suicide rate among trolls is rather high. I'm beginning to believe that Trolls in general are a peacefull race, the ones we encounter who run to attack adventurers are trying to commit assisted suicide. Warning, this next picture is somewhat graphic and not for the weak of heart.

The Monsters of Skyrim Suicid10

Here we have a Troll who simply could not take life anymore. He has thrown himself from the top of a mountain in the attempt to end his little troll life.
Back to top Go down
Algerin
Algerin
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 pm

No mention of the troll that drowned itself under a bridge? It even had a note on it... =p
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Trolls, frost and brown, that's all we pretty much know about them at all. Maybe we should think of another beast to discuss, something that has information we know about or a comparison to make.
Back to top Go down
AdoringFan
AdoringFan
Stormcloaks
Stormcloaks

By Azura By Azura By Azura!!!

Exp. : 4672

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 pm

I think I love this thread. How about the wolves? There's a bit of a visual difference between Oblivion's wolves and the more tough, rattier looking wolves in Skyrim. They seem to travel in packs more, too.

Last edited by AdoringFan on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Algerin
Algerin
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm gonna do Dreugh later tonight, and speculate on what a Skyrim Dreugh may be.
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Alright Algerin, sounds good.

As for the wolves, the packs system is probably due to better AI. It may not have been possible to do it in Oblivion. The tough and rattier I would say is because of the graphics improvement in the game. The toughness is shown because wolves aren't nice to come across normally so Bethesda demonstrated that well enough. Not so sure about the "rattier" part.
Back to top Go down
Algerin
Algerin
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 6:10 pm

The Monsters of Skyrim Wolf10
A wolf in Oblivion

[The Monsters of Skyrim Wolf210
A wolf in Skyrim

I like the look of wolves in Skyrim. They look very... Feral. Less like dogs and more like a creature that actually has to live in the north and kill to survive.
Back to top Go down
ashxombie
ashxombie
Morag Tong
Morag Tong

When life gives you lemons, blood for the Blood God!

The Monsters of Skyrim Modnew10
Exp. : 5287

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Nightblade wrote:
Trolls, frost and brown, that's all we pretty much know about them at all. Maybe we should think of another beast to discuss, something that has information we know about or a comparison to make.

Hey man. Don't forget them Painted Trolls.
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:24 pm

ashxombie wrote:
Nightblade wrote:

Hey man. Don't forget them Painted Trolls.

Also the curious case of Uderfrykte Matron at Dive Rock, but I would only count her as a one time monster.
Back to top Go down
Phaethon Rhadamanth
Phaethon Rhadamanth

Be happy.

The Monsters of Skyrim Adminn10
Exp. : 5691

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:31 pm

I don't have much to add to this discussion, but I will be creeping it obsessively.
Back to top Go down
ashxombie
ashxombie
Morag Tong
Morag Tong

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:36 pm

The Monsters of Skyrim Lostinobliv1

And yeah, I agree with you about the Matron, Nightblade. On a side note - Minotaurs and Unicorns would be pretty sweet to write about. Or lich's or something.
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:47 pm

Yes, pull out all the lore on lich's you can. I have prior engagements to attend right now. I'll get on later and review. Something to look for: Historically important people who others claim are liches. I can think of one now, but let's do some research! See you soon.
Back to top Go down
ashxombie
ashxombie
Morag Tong
Morag Tong

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Nightblade wrote:
Yes, pull out all the lore on lich's you can. I have prior engagements to attend right now. I'll get on later and review. Something to look for: Historically important people who others claim are liches. I can think of one now, but let's do some research! See you soon.

I didn't even think about the historic aspect. This is gonna be sweet.
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 8:52 pm

That's what I'm here for! I'll catch you later for the discussion
Back to top Go down
Caelas
Caelas
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Wait...will there be minotaurs in Skyrim?!
Back to top Go down
ashxombie
ashxombie
Morag Tong
Morag Tong

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Nightblade wrote:
That's what I'm here for! I'll catch you later for the discussion

Hmmm. So I've slightly gotten something written up, and a bunch of lore as well. But I'm not sure if i should post my little write up since it seems like you wanted to write about the Lich's. xD

And Caelas - I hope so. If there's minotaurs there'll probably be unicorns. I want to fight dragons while riding a unicorn dammit!
Back to top Go down
Caelas
Caelas
Imperial Legion
Imperial Legion

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:24 pm

I think Todd said no unicorn but they have some other unique creature to replace it. He said he didn't want to repeat it and didn't want the game to be too much like a fairytale with both dragons and unicorns.
Back to top Go down
ashxombie
ashxombie
Morag Tong
Morag Tong

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Caelas wrote:
I think Todd said no unicorn but they have some other unique creature to replace it. He said he didn't want to repeat it and didn't want the game to be too much like a fairytale with both dragons and unicorns.

WHAAAAAAT?! Damn! Damn you, Todd Howard! First you say you don't like Morrowind, then you try to convince us that a big secret you were revealing was really just vampires were going to be present again, and now THIS!

If the creature that replaces the unicorn is a mermaid of sorts, or some kinda dryad or satyr, my head is going to a-splode.
Back to top Go down
Nightblade
Nightblade
Dark Brotherhood
Dark Brotherhood

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 12:43 am

The Monsters of Skyrim 180px-OB-creature-Lich

“Liches are extremely powerful undead humanoids. They are usually extremely intelligent and are adept spell casters. They are created when a powerful mage seeks to escape mortality by becoming undead.” –UESP

Mannimarco, the King of Worms was approximately 1,130 years old by the beginning of the Oblivion Crisis. It is not specified if he was the first lich ever or the first humanoid to make the transformation. He lost his body and mind; he became a living, moving corpse. His blood became acid, and all manner of repulsive things happened to him.
Mannimarco had used the Totem of Tiber Septim to try to make him a God. I believe that is what he used to become a Lich.

What happened to him after the original transformation, I do not know for sure but Whatever occurred during The Warp in the West, a powerful necromancer calling himself Mannimarco surfaced years later during the Oblivion Crisis to stage a widespread assault on the Mages Guild in Cyrodiil. It is likely he chose this time to attack because he had a strong following (after Hannibal Traven's ban on necromancy in the Mages Guild took effect) and because he believed the Oblivion invasion would weaken and distract the Mages Guild.

Many scholars believe the Mannimarco during the Oblivion crisis was an imposter because the real King of Worms was reported to have attained a sort of “god-hood”. The Mannimarco during the Oblivion crisis was defeated rather soundly by the champion of cyrodiil.
To add to that, some believe Mannimarco will return. After the events of Daggerfall, he was dead. Having returned in Cyrodiil centuries later is why they believe it will happen again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Monsters of Skyrim   The Monsters of Skyrim I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Monsters of Skyrim

View previous topic View next topic Back to top